BrightSpec is the first and only company commercializing MRR, a form of rotational spectroscopy that brings a powerful set of new capabilities to research, process monitoring, and QAQC lab settings. Founded with IP from University of Virginia, BrightSpec is selling its portfolio of instruments and lab services to several industries. BrightSpec boasts customers in the Pharma, Chemical, and Consumer Products industries as well as leading academic and government agencies around the world.
The Applications Scientist will join a collaborative team focused on supporting the efforts of the commercializing MRR, a highly innovative and powerful form of rotational spectroscopy. The role will primarily focus on performing experiments and providing supporting analysis. Through this position the Application Scientist will learn about MRR, an emerging field of analytical chemistry, and gain familiarity with Gaussian, a software to model molecular systems. There will be exposure to a variety of industries including biopharma, chemical, and consumer products.
- Help curate and build a theoretical database of MRR spectra
- Perform quantum chemistry calculations
- Acquire molecular spectra using BrightSpec MRR instruments
- Assist in method development and optimization
- Help validate MRR methods and generate related reports
There are several career path opportunities at BrightSpec from this entry-level position including increasing responsibilities within the lab and customer facing roles. By working with an emerging technology, you will become an expert in the field.
Experience and Qualifications
We are looking for highly motivated team members who are eager to learn new skills and become experts in an emerging field.
- Bachelor of Science in Chemistry or closely related
- Well organized and task-oriented with ability to work independently within a team.
- Lab instrument and/or chemistry software experience (e.g. Gaussian) a plus
- 1-2 years of industry experience in the lab a plus
- Competitive salary and bonus
- Stock options
- 401K plan
- and more.