Associate – Finance & Accounting
Ballast Consulting Group
Ballast Consulting Group is a management consulting firm focused on finance and accounting for small to medium sized businesses. We focus on start-ups and operating businesses generating between $5 million and $30 million in revenue. We are not a staffing firm, and we are not a CPA firm. Instead, we develop long-term relationships with businesses where we implement our process and take active and ongoing roles managing the finance and accounting functions of our clients’ businesses. Our goal is to use finance and accounting to support senior level decision making.
We can break our process into three distinct phases or groups: Accounting, Finance, and Consulting. In short, the accounting phase is focused on collecting good data. The finance portion phase is focused on synthesizing and analyzing the data, then planning and forecasting. The consulting phase is focused on making improvements to the business.
We take a team approach to our client relationships. We resource our engagements with three primary team members – one partner, one associate, and one analyst. Associates are responsible for driving the process. They are responsible for managing what gets done, when it gets done, and by whom. In order to complete the work, associates utilize client resources (employees), Ballast analysts, Ballast partners, or themselves. The associate role is client-facing and each associate manages between 5 and 12 clients at any given time. Because our firm is industry agnostic, associates have exposure to a wide array of business types in a variety of industries at different life stages.
Specific tasks and details of the associate role include:
- Management of all team tasks and workflow related to client;
- Client onboarding and implementation;
- Accounting system overhauls;
- Rebuilding of historical financials;
- Design, development, and on-going management of financial forecast models / budgets;
- Active ongoing management of the accounting and finance functions and processes for clients.
Experience and Qualifications
A successful candidate will be one who exhibits the following capabilities and qualities:
- Understanding of, and/or interest in, finance and accounting;
- Comprehensive understanding of foundational and fundamental accounting;
- Cursory understanding of income tax and tax treatment of various entity-types;
- Cursory understanding of business law;
- Cursory understanding of financial planning and analysis;
- High degree of curiosity and willingness to learn new skills/concepts;
- Willingness to work in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills;
- Well organized / high attention to detail;
- Strong communication skills (verbal & written);
- Ability to manage/prioritize multiple assignments and meet deadlines;
- High levels of competency with Excel modeling, data aggregation and analysis, etc.
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in Finance and/or Accounting
- Minimum of 2+ years relevant work experience (preferably in audit/assurance or tax)
- Up to 20% bonus ($14k / year) paid quarterly
- $250/month continuing education budget
- 401k with matching program
- Health/Dental/Vision insurance with 50% employee match