Associate Scientist – Cell Biologist
The rapidly growing Health Sciences Group at Luna Innovations is seeking an Associate Scientist with significant hands-on industrial experience in cell biology, cell culture, tissue culture, and related. The candidate will lead and design all cell and tissue culture efforts on a variety of currently funded health sciences programs and will be expected to conduct exploratory research and development across a range of biomaterials and wound healing programs.
- Lead and perform cell culture laboratory work for a variety of biomedical research programs in the Health Sciences Group (HSG).
- Select approach, design experiment, and conduct a variety of cell and molecular studies for the development and in vitro testing of new biomedical technologies with applications such as wound healing and drug delivery.
- Plan and perform all necessary aspects of back-end cell culture activities, including cell type selection, banking, maintenance, optimizations, and protocol development.
- Effectively communicate and collaborate with program managers and team members to translate core program objectives into appropriate study plans and protocols.
- Record, analyze, summarize, and communicate information on procedures and results.
- Effectively manage, support, and prioritize a variety of activities across concurrent programs.
- Expand job specific knowledge through training, on-the-job learning, and scientific work.
- Abide by all relevant safety policies, and actively support a clean, safe, and organized laboratory environment.
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree in biology, biomedical engineering, biomaterials, or related field with 4 years experience or a masters degree with 2 years experience
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years hands-on cell culture professional experience in an industry or research environment.
- Demonstrated familiarity with a variety of relevant cell biology methods, such as fluorescence microscopy, immunocytochemistry, live/fixed staining, cytotoxicity assays, flow cytometry, ELISA, etc.
- Previous work with a variety of different cell types and sources, with exposure to primary and/or stem cells is required.
- Experience with 3D culture, co-culture systems, predictive in vitro models, and/or integration with biomaterials is preferred.
- Some experience with nucleic acid purification, PCR, and gene expression studies is a plus.
Apply for this position here.