The Biotech Group at Luna Innovations is seeking an Associate Scientist with hands-on mechanical engineering and product development experience that is eager to apply their background to a diverse set of biomedical applications. The candidate must have experience in one or more of the following areas: finite element computational modeling, mechatronics, mechanical design, and must be able to complete advanced design and 3D printing/rapid prototyping for varied mechanical and/or mechatronic systems. Candidate will be able to independently perform modeling and design tasks while collaborating with a team for a variety of currently funded biotech programs in the medical device, wearable sensor, and human interfacing/performance fields. Candidate will be responsible for guiding transition from development efforts to commercial products for civilian customers and military acquisitions.
- Guides development and transition of mechanical/mechatronic systems from development to product, with a focus on military/civilian transition and sales.
- Responsible for end-user outreach on development programs, design for manufacturability, and commercial sales.
- Supports early product development through relevant literative reviews and designing/producing prototype electro-mechanical and mechanical systems.
- Designs and carries out experiments, including in vitro testing, computational modeling development and simulation, and mechanical characterization for established and growing biophysics programs.
- Analyzes experimental or simulation results and summarizes data in written reports independently.
- Utilizes and improves on current technology developed at Luna Innovations to accomplish tasks on projects and to solve complex technical problems.
- Contributes to the origination of development projects.
Experience and Qualifications
Experience in biology/physiologic applications is desirable and an ability to effectively communicate (technical writings skills) with engineers of all backgrounds (mechanical, electrical, biomedical, and chemical) is required for this collaborative position. Significant experience with Solidworks and finite element modeling software (e.g., COMSOL) is required. Previous experience in technology transition is preferred, and a desire to focus on product commercialization for relevant biotech products is required.
The successful candidate will work on multiple fast-paced, proof-of-concept programs simultaneously with reporting to multiple program managers. A passion for learning and applying state-of-the-art science/engineering to develop products with clinical needs is required.
Education: Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Mechanical engineering, Biomedical engineering, or related field with relevant industry experience (2+ years). Business experience is preferred.
Due to government contracting regulations, U.S. Citizenship or Green Card holder is a firm requirement.
Employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, religion, national or ethnic origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, protected veteran status or other characteristics protected by law.
- Devices & Instrumentation
- Health Tech & Software