Cell Culture Technician
LumaCyte, LLC is biotechnology instrumentation designer and manufacturer located in Charlottesville, Virginia. Our mission is to provide researchers with a transformational diagnostic tool that accelerates medical and pharmaceutical discoveries through novel single cell analysis and sorting. We provide hardware and software solutions that enable cell biologists, biomedical researchers, pharmaceutical, and other biotechnology companies to characterize, select, and sort cell samples.
LumaCyte, LLC seeks a cell culture technician able to assist in the laboratory daily tasks including but not limited to:
- Maintaining laboratory operations including cell culture, virus stocks, and chemical solutions preparation
- Collaborating with other biologists, engineers, and scientists to perform experiments using the companies cutting edge cell analysis instrument, Radiance.
Our ideal candidate is able to work independently in a BSL2 laboratory setting and capable of maintaining cell cultures, virus stocks and associated cell culture infections. The candidate is able proficient in preparing fluid solutions and maintaining a clean and organized work environment.
- Maintain multiple mammalian cell lines, ability to seed, infect and harvest cell cultures both adherent and in suspension
- Good trouble shooting ability with cell lines and viruses
- Prepare chemical solutions such as weighing chemicals (both liquid and dry) and mixing components according to Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
- Perform cleaning, disinfecting and storage of glassware/containers
- Maintain chemical inventory and create legible written records
- Work independently and efficiently and able to complete tasks within defined time frames
- Work with senior team members to conduct experiments
- Become proficient in running samples and analyzing, understanding, and presenting data internally and externally
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, researching and contributing to scientific literature, establishing professional networks, and participating in professional societies
Experience and Qualifications
- At least 3 years related laboratory experience including aseptic and mammalian cell culture techniques is a must have
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) required, associate’s or Bachelor’s degree in Cell biology, Virology or a related discipline preferred
- General laboratory skills, experience with pipettes, hemocytometer, and experience with fluid handling
- Strong computer, scientific, and organizational skills
- Analytical and numerical skills: ability to perform mathematical calculations (add, subtract, multiply, divide) in different units of measurement; ability to use concepts such as fractions, percentages, and ratios and calculate dilution volumes
- Strong attention to detail, excellent communication skills and ability to document work clearly and perform tests accurately
- Ability and desire to work with cutting edge instrumentation in a laboratory setting
- Maintain equipment in proper working order and maintain a clean work area
- Practice safe work habits, including complying with all safety, health, and environmental rules and regulations
- Meets minimum competency evaluation
- Previous Biosafety Level 2 (BSL2) training
- Detailed knowledge of virology and virological methods including plaque assay, TCID50, and neutralization assays, functional cell-based assays, cell culture, etc.
- Experience in biomanufacturing desirable including bioreactor use, viral vectors, etc.
- Ability to characterize cell performance using techniques including flow cytometry, ELISA and related techniques, gene expression assays (qPCR/ddPCR), bioluminescence assay
- Proven self-starter, good interpersonal and time management skills, and ability to work in a team environment with minimal direction
- Dental insurance
- Health insurance
- Vision insurance
- Paid time off
- 8 hour shifts
- Bonus pay