Director of Product Management
Cerillo, headquartered in Charlottesville, VA, is a seed-stage company in the $100B life sciences tools market. Originally founded as a spin-out of the University of Virginia, Cerillo pivoted from initial product R&D to high-growth commercialization in 2021. As we rapidly expand our team, we are looking for growth-minded teammates who are focused on making an impact, both professionally and in the world at large.
In the role of Director of Product Management, Cerillo’s newest team member will be a key member of Cerillo’s product team and be responsible for product portfolio management. This individual will advocate for Cerillo’s product offerings, both internally with our engineering team and externally with customers. This individual is curious in nature, a relentless problem solver, and enthusiastic to make a massive impact within our growing organization.
Product Strategy and Product Management
- Strategic planning and management of the entire product portfolio at Cerillo.
- Own the product roadmap and drive product development across the different technologies in which the company operates (software, hardware, consumables) from vision through delivery and iteration.
- Implement product management frameworks and decision-making processes that appropriately balance value risk, usability risk, feasibility risk, and business viability risk.
- Communicate directly with customers to drive UX and design decisions.
- Translate and articulate customer problems into written documents with easily understood solutions and functional requirements.
- Understand and communicate technical complexities across product verticals. Our engineering team solves complex problems within hardware (electronics, PCBs, materials engineering), firmware, consumables, and software (React, Electron, Node.JS, Typescript, and AWS) verticals daily.
- Implement Agile best practices to drive successful execution and product delivery on schedule.
Leadership and Team Building
- Build and grow an effective product team by directly managing and developing people.
- Work cross-functionally with a distributed team across engineering, design, customer success, operations, marketing, and sales.
- Define, analyze, and communicate product success metrics.
- Work collaboratively with the founding Chief Technology Officer and Chief Product Officer to drive innovative product ideation and development processes. Report directly to CEO.
Experience and Qualifications
Minimum Qualifications (Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities)
- Bachelor’s degree or commensurate experience, preferably in life sciences or engineering.
- Experience working at a startup and/or early-stage growth company is a strong plus.
- 2+ years’ experience in formalized product management methodologies.
- Systematic problem-solving approach and excellent organizational skills, coupled with strong communication skills and a sense of ownership and drive.
- A history of demonstrating relentless user focus, particularly in product development.
- Exceptional verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Leadership skills, with steadfast resolve and personal integrity.
- Onsite work (as needed) in our Charlottesville, VA headquarters (minimum of 1-2 weeks per month). You will be responsible with direct management of team members and need to build and sustain those relationships.
- Ability and desire to interact with customers on a regular basis. You will serve as a corporate ambassador and need to exhibit the enthusiasm and desire to solve hard problems for our customers.
- Willingness to travel as needed, including internationally, up to 25% of time. You will have the opportunity to represent Cerillo during strategic partnership meetings, industry tradeshows, and onsite customer visits across the globe (including Europe, Australia, Japan, and more).
- Devices & Instrumentation
- Health Tech & Software
- Medical insurance
- Paid paternity leave
- Vision insurance
- Dental insurance
- Paid maternity leave
- Disability insurance