This position will help design, develop and perform biological assays while also analyzing data and presenting their results as a member of HemoShear’s proprietary and collaborative partnership drug discovery program teams. The candidate will be expected to work independently in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively alongside a larger assay team. Additional responsibilities include performing cell culture, molecular biology experiments to generate novel biological reagents, and protein production and purification.
- Develop and optimize cell-free and cell-based assays in medium- to high-throughput (96/384-well) formats.
- Generate stable cell lines and verify expression or lack of expression using molecular biology endpoints, western blots and reporter assays using various readouts (e.g., qPCR, fluorescence, luminescence, mass spectrometry, etc.).
- Protein production, purification, and characterization.
- Deliver defined biomarker assays with clinical relevance.
- Proactively analyze experimental data and integrate disparate data from other experiments, literature, and other colleagues to make informed decisions to improve existing or develop new assays.
- Partner with chemistry and biology teams to troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges to deliver critical data.
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to project teams and senior management.
Experience and Qualifications
- M.S. with 5+ years’ experience, or Ph.D. with 2+ years’ industrial experience.
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, qPCR, primer design), cell-based assays (sterile tissue culture techniques, transfection, transduction, maintaining, subcloning, and banking cells).
- Experience measuring protein expression levels, turn-over and synthesis rates: western blot, ELISA, reporter assays, etc.
- Strength in experimental design, execution, and data analysis using multiple assay platforms working with various cell systems.
- Experience using automated liquid handlers, plate readers and associated software.
- Expertise in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry with emphasis on small molecules interactions.
- Experience in mass spectrometry, RNAi and CRISPR is a plus.
- Must be a self-starter, proactive, co-operative, and proficient at working both independently and in a small team environment.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential.