AgroSpheres is a venture-backed, startup company working on the cutting edge of agriculture-biotechnology. AgroSpheres has developed a diverse technology portfolio of bioparticles outfitted for the agriculture industry. They enhance the delivery of active ingredients by protecting them from environmental degradation, enabling the controlled release and targeting of actives to plants and pests. Presently, AgroSpheres is executing and bidding on a multitude of corporate contracts developing products for larger agricultural companies, as well as developing our own products for crop protection and enhancement. At AgroSpheres, we all take pride in the opportunity to do value and purpose-driven research. AgroSpheres is seeking a full-time formulation technician.
The R&D formulation technician will report to the CTO and Head of Innovation. He/she is responsible for supporting new product R&D activities at the Biopesticides Team from concept to commercialization that sustain company growth. The position will also enhance and improve upon current products where applicable. The R&D formulation technician serves as a scientist who: supports new product improvements, quality improvements, new formulation agents, formulation compatibility testing including controlled release experiments and stability testing.
- Supports development of new or improved formulas, products, and/or processes together with Biopesticide Team.
- Applies advanced, novel formulation technologies toward creation of new products.
- Analyze compatibility of various solvents with the technology.
- Supports revision and reformulation of existing formulas.
- Work together with Biopesticide and QC staff to conduct all required controlled release and stability tests.
- Actively maintains knowledge about the most current technical and industry trends.
- Develop Standard Operating Procedures (SOP’s) when and where applicable to job related responsibilities within the R&D Department.
- Supports processes associated to identify and create new formulations for microencapsulation and storage.
Knowledge and Skill requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant science (chemistry, chemical engineering, polymer science or a related field). Master’s preferred.
- 3+ years of experience in the formulation in new product and process development, preferable in biological formulation for agriculture.
- Experience in the formulation of biological products and familiarity with technologies such as freeze-drying, granulation, spray-drying, emulsion, encapsulation, among others.
- Basic knowledge of molecular biology and biotechnology.
- A team–player in a fast-paced working environment with ability to meet deadlines.
- High emotional intelligence and well-developed conflict management skills.
- Strong personal commitment to professional development and eagerness to learn.
- Flexibility to assume a variety of roles.
- Strong verbal communication skills.
- Strong prioritization skills.
- Strong work ethic, diligence to follow through with tasks, and deliver tangible outcomes.
The AgroSpheres headquarters is located in Charlottesville, VA. More information about the company can be found at www.agrospheres.com.
Experience and Qualifications
- Industry: 3 years (Preferred)
- Bachelor’s (Preferred)
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance