Intellectual Property Legal Assistant
UVA Licensing & Ventures Group
The UVA Licensing & Ventures Group is seeking a motivated individual for a full-time Intellectual Property (IP) Legal Assistant position in Charlottesville, VA (currently a hybrid remote and in office position). As a member of the patent department, the Legal Assistant will support the in-house patent attorney and patent paralegal in the patent application process.
The UVA Licensing & Ventures Group (LVG) manages intellectual property and technology commercialization for UVA’s research portfolio. Its mission is to maximize the intellectual, societal, and economic impact of UVA discoveries via commercialization to enrich and improve lives for the University, the Commonwealth and the world.
- Basic administrative duties;
- Assist in-house patent attorney and patent paralegal;
- Maintain file room and file folders;
- Draft reporting emails;
- Correspond with university faculty & staff, licensees, outside counsel, and foreign associates regarding time-sensitive matters;
- Maintain confidentiality in correspondence;
- Format new patent disclosures in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, and Adobe;
- Assess and utilize information in patent docket database and prepare docket reports;
- Enter patent department Timeslips and generate legal invoices.
Experience and Qualifications
- Associate degree or above;
- 3-5+ years legal office experience/administrative work desired;
- Self-motivated with ability to work autonomously and with remote team members;
- Detail oriented with strong verbal, written communication, and organizational skills;
- Ability to effectively set priorities, meet deadlines, multi-task, and reprioritize to accommodate urgent requests;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Word, and Adobe required;
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint preferred;
- Experience with IP docket program and Timeslips is a plus.
- Medical/dental/vision and life insurance
- Long and short term disability insurance
- 403b retirement plan
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays