Research Associate - Mechanical Engineer
The Biotech Group at Luna Labs is seeking an Research Associate with hands-on mechatronics experience that is eager to apply their background to a diverse set of biomedical applications. The candidate must be able to complete advanced design and 3D printing/rapid prototyping for varied mechanical and/or mechatronic systems. Candidate will be able to independently perform design and prototyping tasks while collaborating with a team for a variety of currently funded biotech programs in the medical device, wearable sensor, human interfacing/performance, and diagnostic device fields.
- Assist in development and transition of mechanical/mechatronic systems from development to product.
- Supports early product development through relevant literature reviews and designing/producing prototype electro-mechanical systems.
- Assists in concept development and leads device prototyping efforts including identification and selection of relevant hardware and integrating into working prototypes.
- Carries out experiments and/or validation testing for prototype devices for a range of established and growing biophysics and diagnostic programs.
- Analyzes experimental or simulation results and summarizes data in written reports independently.
- Utilizes and improves on current technology developed at Luna Labs to accomplish tasks on projects and to solve complex technical problems.
- Contributes to the origination of development projects.
Experience and Qualifications
Required experience includes: Solidworks CAD design, sensor/actuator integration and testing, rapid prototyping/additive manufacturing. Preferred experience includes: Matlab, Python, computational modeling, and microcontroller programming.
Experience in biology/physiologic applications is desirable and an ability to effectively communicate (technical writings skills) with engineers of all backgrounds (mechanical, electrical, biomedical, and chemical) is required for this collaborative position. The successful candidate will work on multiple fast-paced, proof-of-concept programs simultaneously with reporting to multiple program managers. A passion for learning and applying state-of-the-art science/engineering to develop products with clinical needs is required.
Education: Bachelor’s and/or Master’s Degree in Mechanical engineering, Electrical engineering, Biomedical engineering, or related field with relevant experience (BS with 2+ years or MS).
- Devices & Instrumentation
- Health Tech & Software