At MicroGEM, we are putting rapid diagnostic technologies where they’re needed most – whether it’s a farmer’s field in Uganda to diagnose cassava mosaic virus; the depths of the Pacific Ocean to rapidly sample and analyze water pathogens; or a doctor’s office to quickly identify infectious disease. We call this ‘democratizing molecular biology’ – bringing molecular biology techniques out of conventional, highly skilled laboratories to the point-of-need where they can be used by anyone to solve complex biological problems.
MicroGEM has an immediate opening for a contract molecular biologist at the Scientist position. This position will work closely with the Director of Assay Trials and Clinical Studies and senior scientists on developing and validating an assay for disease detection on a novel microfluidic device. This position will fill a critical need in testing designs for DNA / RNA extraction and qPCR. As the assay progresses, the team member will support detailed validation testing and documentation of the device and assay performance. They will also help assemble SOPs, QA, regulatory, and other documentation. A portion of the testing may be performed in a BSL-2 environment.
- Conducts technical tasks and laboratory experimentation testing new or project-specific protocols and SOPs
- Conducts experimental work on projects following established protocols and procedures
- Contributes to developing test plans, experimental designs, and analytical methods
- Prepare test reports and presentations for the technical team
- Conduct experiments in a BSL-2 environment
Experience and Qualifications
- B.S. or B.A. in Biology, Molecular Biology, Microbiology, Biochemistry, biomedical engineering or related discipline
- Knowledge and/or experience in a research environment, basic analytical skills, sample preparation and analysis, experience with bioanalytical methods, such as DNA/RNA extraction, PCR, and RT-qPCR.
- PC skills and ability to learn new software and systems
- Ability to effectively communicate and interact with technical team at all levels in a collaborative-based environment
- Detail oriented