HemoShear Therapeutics is a clinical stage company developing new treatments for patients with rare metabolic disorders. We apply our deep understanding of complex diseases to discover breakthrough treatments for our proprietary pipeline. We also partner with biopharma companies to accelerate their drug discovery and development programs in liver diseases, gout, and metabolic disorders. We are implementing a new vision for how advanced biological systems can yield new insights that improve health and quality of life for patients in need.
We currently have a new opening for a Senior Enzymologist/Biochemist.
This position will lead the design, development and performance of biological assays while also analyzing data and presenting their results to multidisciplinary drug discovery and development program teams. The candidate will be expected to lead efforts in the areas of enzymology, biochemistry and cell based assays. The candidate will need to work independently in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively as part of the leadership within the biology team.
Additional responsibilities include performing enzyme characterization studies, development and optimization of primary and cell-line cell culture systems, assay development of low and high throughput systems, assay miniaturization, molecular biology experiments to generate novel biological reagents, and protein production and purification. This role will also involve extensive collaboration and leadership of external CRO assay teams and integration of those efforts with the internal laboratory activities.
- Develop and optimize cell-free and cell-based assays in medium- to high-throughput (96/384-well) formats
- Generate stable cell lines and verify expression or lack of expression using molecular biology endpoints, western blots, and reporter assays using various readouts (e.g., qPCR, fluorescence, luminescence, mass spectrometry, etc.)
- Protein production, purification, and characterization
- Deliver defined biomarker assays with clinical relevance
- Proactively analyze experimental data and integrate disparate data from other experiments, literature, and other colleagues to make informed decisions to improve existing or develop new assays
- Partner with chemistry and biology teams to troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges to deliver critical data
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to project teams and senior management
Experience and Qualifications
- M.S. with 8+ years’ experience, or Ph.D. with 5+ years’ industrial experience.
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, ddPCR, qPCR, primer design), cell-based assays (sterile tissue culture techniques, transfection, transduction, maintaining, subcloning, and banking cells)
- Experience measuring protein expression levels, turn-over, and synthesis rates: western blot, ELISA, reporter assays, etc.
- Strength in experimental design, execution, and data analysis using multiple assay platforms working with various cell systems
- Experience using automated liquid handlers, plate readers, and associated software
- Expertise in cell biology, molecular biology, biochemistry with emphasis on small molecules interactions
- Experience in mass spectrometry, RNAi, and CRISPR is a plus
- Must be a self-starter, proactive, cooperative, and proficient at working both independently and in a small team environment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills are essential