Senior Lab Scientist
The Senior Lab Scientist will design, develop, and perform biological assays while also analyzing data and presenting their results as a member of HemoShear’s proprietary and collaborative partnership drug discovery program teams. The Senior Lab Scientist will be expected to work independently in a self-directed manner as well as collaboratively alongside a larger assay team. Additional responsibilities include performing cell culture, molecular biology experiments and protein production and purification. The role will require training of colleagues in the developed techniques to support the HemoShear assay team.
The position involves teamwork, high levels of communication, and ensuring scientific excellence. You will work closely with the program team leaders to ensure that all work stays on schedule and is completed according to HemoShear’s standards. This role will report to the Lab Manager and will be based in the Charlottesville, VA office.
- Work collaboratively with colleagues in Exploratory Biology and Discovery Biology to provide functional expertise
- Develop and optimize cell-free and cell-based assays in medium- to high-throughput (96/384-well) formats
- Generate stable cell lines and verify expression or lack of expression using molecular biology endpoints, western blots and reporter assays using various readouts (e.g., qPCR, fluorescence, luminescence, mass spectrometry, etc.)
- Protein production, purification, and characterization
- Partner with chemistry and biology teams to troubleshoot through technical and scientific challenges to deliver critical data
- Present results, conclusions, and implications to project teams and senior management
- Assist development and implementation of biological assays needed to support the drug discovery project
Experience and Qualifications
- B.S. with 15+ years’ experience, or M.S. with 10+ years life sciences experience
- Experience in cellular and molecular biology (DNA/RNA extraction, RT-qPCR, qPCR, primer design), cell-based assays (sterile tissue culture techniques, transfection, transduction, maintaining, subcloning, and banking cells)
- Experience measuring protein expression levels, turn-over and synthesis rates: western blot, ELISA, reporter assays, etc.
- Experience using automated imaging systems, plate readers and associated software
- Demonstrated technical proficiency, scientific creativity, independent thought, and ability to effectively collaborate with others
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
HemoShear offers a full range of comprehensive benefits to support the well-being of our employees. Career growth and development opportunities are important to the culture at HemoShear. If your background matches the required experience, please apply.