Sr. Product Development Engineer (Hardware and Software)
Caretaker Medical, a fast-growing developer of innovative wireless patient monitoring devices is seeking a Sr. Product Development Engineer to join our technical team. The company’s flagship product is a simple, non-invasive finger sensor, App, and patented algorithms, that wirelessly measures continuous ‘beat-by-beat’ Blood
Pressure (“CNIBP”), Arterial Pressure Waveforms, Respiration Rate, Heart Rate, and other hemodynamic parameters enabling ICU-Quality remote patient monitoring without wires at all points of care. Customers in the USA and 15 other countries use the Caretaker monitor for multiple use-cases across the full continuum of care, including in-patient, critical-care, chronic-care, hospital-at-home, remote patient monitoring, and COVID patients. We offer a competitive compensation package of salary, stock options, healthcare, paid vacation, and tuition reimbursement, as well as an empowering, entrepreneurial work environment with a shared-success mentality that values speed, integrity, commitment, results, and diversity of thought ahead of formality, fluff, and
The ideal Sr. Product Development Engineer candidate is a multi-talented, hands-on platform builder skilled in electronics hardware, software, and firmware design with significant experience in developing embedded solutions, scalable apps, and robust products in compliance with ISO 13485 standards. This position will interface and contribute meaningfully across all facets of the product development deployment life-cycle, including requirements & specifications development, PCBA and hardware design, embedded software & firmware development, App and GUI development, V&V testing, documentation, hardware and software troubleshooting & repair, and customer support & issue resolution. 5+ years of engineering development experience is required.
- Design, build, test, and troubleshoot PCBA based mixed-signal wireless medical device products
- Perform prototyping, board bring-up and testing functions, including on-board circuit modification, component add/change/removal, and surface mounting on high density PCBAs with <1mm pitch and 0201 discretes
- Create patentable technology solutions, from ideation to prototyping and production
- Translate AI, ML, and algorithmic concepts into functional hardware and software products
- Design, develop, code, test and debug system software and embedded firmware
- Integrate and validate new product design and/or changes and provide supporting documentation
- Collaborate with other departments to determine optimal hardware and software systems for new and existing products, based on specifications.
- Write technical documents including software requirements, software design descriptions, acceptance test criteria, software verifications, and/or other technical reports or documents as needed.
- Participate and assist in optimizing the Quality Management System and ISO 13485 processes
- Perform root cause analysis and develop solutions as necessary; utilizing software configuration management tools, defect tracking tools, programmers and debuggers.
- Analyze and understand existing products and their implementation to determine best design and method to add and/or change features and functionality.
- Provide Pre- and Post-Sales support with technical discussion, customer implementation, and training needs, including integration of Caretaker products & data into other systems
- Assist with manufacturing activities and provide support to CM’s for production issues
- Other duties as assigned and required for business operations.
Experience and Qualifications
- BS degree in EE, ME, CS or other Engineering discipline (MSC preferred) and 5+ years of hardware and software engineering experience.
- Hands on experience in development and troubleshooting of embedded software
- Proven work experience in product development cycle from design to production to support.
- Experience working in embedded systems design with preemptive, multitasking real-time operating systems.
- Solid programming experience in C or C++, Python, and Java.
- Strong understanding of ISO 13485 compliance, Design History Files, GMP, and documentation & writing skills.
- Excellent knowledge of OS coding techniques, IP protocols, user interfaces and hardware subsystems.
- Experience with Wireless data transmission hardware and software protocols
- Experience with Cloud-based services and development methods
- Entrepreneurial, “roll-up sleeves and get it done” mentality. Pragmatic and able to quickly get to the heart of issues and act decisively.
- Demonstrated ability to manage multiple concurrent, often conflicting, priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to politely and professionally manage, diffuse and resolve customer complaints and issues, especially in fast-paced clinical settings
- Well-organized and results-driven, with an aptitude for creative problem-solving
- A team player with initiative, integrity, and a collaborative “win together” attitude