Senior Associate - Materials Science
Luna Labs is seeking a creative Materials Scientist to direct and conduct research focused on the discovery and development of existing and new materials technology for commercial applications.
Current areas of development in the Materials Research Group include corrosion-resistant and multifunctional protective barrier coatings, polymeric composites, inorganic ceramic materials, and electromagnetic signature control materials.
It is desired that the candidate will have a background in one or more of these areas and will develop new skills by contributing to technology development, new idea generation, and experimental design/execution. The candidate will perform general technical assistance on a variety of currently funded materials programs and will be expected to conduct exploratory research and development efforts to help establish additional materials research and development (R&D) efforts.
The ideal candidate will also contribute to program management, new idea generation, and experimental design/execution.
- Work with Principal Investigators to manage technical projects including experimental design, problem solving, data interpretation, report writing, and proposal preparation.
- Support early product development through literature reviews, sourcing of equipment, components and supplies, and assemble systems and prototypes for ongoing research
- Identify new materials-based technologies to meet significant customer needs.
- Collaborate with the internal and external scientific community to maintain a state-of-the-art knowledge to successfully conduct experiments and projects.
- Assist the transition of new technologies into product concepts, prototype design, and commercialization.
- Communicate well with customers and colleagues through reports, presentations, emails, and phone calls.
- Promote a safe, productive, organized, and clean work environment
Experience and Qualifications
- Bachelor’s degree with 5+ years’ experience or Master’s degree with 3+ years’ experience in Chemistry, Materials Science & Engineering, Chemical Engineering, or related field.
- Functions well in a fast-paced and team-oriented R&D environment
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team
- Strong commitment to quality and attention to detail
- Excellent communication, technical writing, analytical, and interpersonal skills
- Desire and ability to understand the technical approach within the context of the application
- Relevant laboratory research experience
- Ability to support several disparate programs in parallel.
Upload your resume to apply for this role through CvilleBioHub. If the company accepts applications through email, they will also receive your resume.